Dr. Malini Saba | Official BIO
To know Dr. Malini Saba is to know her multifaceted identity. Professionally, Malini is a distinguished self-made businesswoman with over three decades of experience and celebrated accomplishments in the corporate world. She's a brilliant researcher, a published author, and is also a compassionate psychologist. Personally, Malini is a single mother, fitness enthusiast, and creative cook with a love for food.
What's distinct about Dr. Saba is this: deeply-rooted in her career path and personal life are a passion and commitment to making the world a better place. Malini is a fierce human and social rights activist, philanthropist, and advocate for the physical, social, and economic advancement of women and girls across the world. Every organisation she's built from the ground up serves as a catalyst for uplifting humanity.
Dr. Saba has an extensive business background in international, multi-cultural environments and highly engineered systems. She is the founder and former chairman of Saba Group, a privately-held company investing in the people and businesses of the future. Saba Group operates in several markets across 20 countries, including agriculture and trades, pharmaceuticals, fintech, real estate, hospitality, entertainment, and gold mining. Malini is most known for her successes in the industrial commodities markets for rice, oil, and gas. Half of all profits raised by Saba Group helped Malini fund initiatives for accessible education, health, art, culture, and livelihood generation.
Dr. Malini Saba | AWARDS + ACCOLADES
(Dr.) Malini Saba is a staunch believer that leadership is not defined by titles, photos, or selfies, but rather by being authentic and sticking up for one's convictions, especially in the face of hardship. People who know her well agree that she is methodical and is committed to serving people.
Over the past three decades, Dr. Saba has received the honour of being:
- The recipient of the "Kalpana Chawla Award" for "Outstanding Woman of the Year"
- Featured on the cover of "India Today's" magazine's yearly issue highlighting the "high and mighty"
- "The Ambassador of Peace's" award recipient from the "Federation of Peace", London
- Rated # 1 of 10 candidates to succeed in "San Francisco" Magazine. She was chosen as one of ten women who will undoubtedly succeed and are worth watching over the next decade
- A "Mother Teresa Award" recipient
- A recipient of the "Philanthropist of the Year award" from "Pratham"
- graced the cover of the ‘45th Anniversary issue’ of ‘India Today Hindi'
- An influential keynote speaker at the "London Speaker Bureau"
- "YourStory" recognised her as "one of five Indian women who made a difference during the pandemic."
- featured on the cover of "Forbes 400," where she discussed what it means to be a self-made businesswoman in industries dominated by men
- A recipient of the "Entrepreneur of the Year" award by "Business Women's Network Washington, D.C."
- Spokesperson and Panellist for the "Business World" – (WESA) Change-preneurs Track honouring extraordinary women entrepreneurs whose ideas have changed India's corporate and social landscape.
- Femina magazine has recognised her as one of the "Fabulous 50" women who have excelled in their field through sheer grit and determination.
- "CSR Journal" Magazine named her as one of "25 Indian leaders" to watch in the philanthropic and social impact arena
- Featured on the cover of the publication "Glittering India"
- graced the cover of "Business Today's" "The BT 500 List," which ranks India's most valuable enterprises
- Recognized by "YourStory" as "one of the five NGOs" striving to improve the lives of rural women throughout India
- A recipient of the "Genty Hall of Fame-Philanthropist Of The Year award"
- The "Femina" magazine chose to feature her on its cover
Dr. Malini Saba | PHILANTHROPY & HUMAN RIGHTS ADVOCACY Philanthropy & Human Rights Advocacy
Malini Saba has since transitioned away from Saba Group to focus her attention on her philanthropic efforts. She continues to run the Anannke Foundation, formerly known as the Saba Family Foundation, which she established in 2002. Anannke is a Greek goddess who is believed to have created the world, which symbolizes Malini's aspiration to create a more equitable world for women and children from diverse backgrounds.
Malini has set her sights on helping one billion people through the Anannke Foundation. The foundation analyses the root causes of underlying factors behind socio-economic hurdles prevalent in developing nations. This foundation operates through two distinct branches — Samskaara and Upcaara. Samskaara focuses on education, extending scholarship programs and college preparation funds to underprivileged girls globally. Meanwhile, Upcaara, an integral non-profit under Anannke, provides life-saving healthcare access to vulnerable women facing significant risks.
The foundation has partnered with many organisations and renowned individuals. Collaborations include Bill Clinton, Standford University Medical Center, as well as associations with entities such as Youth for Unity and Voluntary Action (YUVA) in Mumbai, the Women Refugee Commission, Concern Worldwide, LAC + USC Medical Center, the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC), and more.
In addition to her involvement with Anannke Foundation, Dr. Malini Saba holds positions on the Advisory Board of the Mother Teresa Foundation and on the Board of Directors for Comfycare12 and Woman's Company.
MERITS & SPEAKERSHIP
Malini's efforts have earned her the title 'Ambassador of Peace' by the Universal Peace Federation. She's also been honored with Kalpana Chawla's 2005 award for ‘Outstanding Woman Of The Year,’ the 'Mother Theresa' award in 2004, 'Entrepreneur Of The Year' from the Business Women’s Network in Washington D.C., and 'Philanthropist Of The Year' by both Pratham and Genty Hall of Fame.
Dr. Saba has taken the stage as a keynote speaker at prestigious global conferences in an effort to reshape the operations of governments worldwide while also sharing her insights to empower fellow business owners. Her steadfast dedication revolves around bolstering businesses led by women and that benefit women on a global scale. She offers guidance to numerous female entrepreneurs and has helped them grow their revenue, develop profitable programmes and training, and secure media appearances.
FROM NOWHERE... TO SELF-MADE MILLIONAIRE… TO ENTREPRENEUR MENTOR
As a self-made executive, Malini aims to ignite a spirit of independence among all women. Her articles on this subject have graced publications like Entrepreneur India, Times of India, and Huffington Post. She's also been featured in prominent publications like India Today, one of the most widely circulated magazines in the country, Femina, and Forbes 400.
Entrepreneurship wasn't initially on Dr. Malini Saba's radar. Considered an "accidental entrepreneur," she diverted from her aspirations of becoming a doctor to pave her own path as a business owner instead. Her entrepreneurial pursuits have served as an opportunity to address social issues, foster economic growth, and empower community members to establish and expand local businesses.
Born into a middle-class immigrant family, Malini was raised by hardworking parents. This upbringing instilled in her a robust work ethic and a deep sense of empathy for the less fortunate. Since childhood, her aspiration has been to earn enough to contribute significantly to charitable causes. Beyond her foundation, Malini has personally kick-started the world's first Heart Research Center for South Asians at El Camino Hospital with a $1 million donation and pledged $10 million for the rehabilitation of victims in areas ravaged by the Tsunami in India and Sri Lanka.
DEDICATED TO HELPING WOMEN ENTREPRENEURS SCALE UP
(Dr.) Malini Saba is committed to building and supporting companies "managed by women" that "benefit women" and have a positive impact on the plight of women worldwide. Behind the curtain, Dr. Saba provides business advice and consultation to several female entrepreneurs whose businesses are thriving today. She has helped them increase annual revenues by millions of dollars, create new brands, monetize their messages, develop profitable programmes and training; host events; reposition themselves at the upper end of the spectrum, network with other industry leaders, gain media appearances, and much more.
Dr. Saba also operates a social media community called "TheWorkingMothers" to empower and support Working women in all types of jobs, careers, and work arrangements, as well as for those interested in learning more about the challenges of being a working mom – or in re-entering the workforce.